Puerto Plata is totally reinvented and this is evident in recent years, with new investments.
The so-called Bride of the Atlantic is the birthplace of the hero of the Restoration of the Republic, General Gregorio Luperón, and his godson, the dictator Ulises Hereaux (Lilís). During the government of Luperon, period 1879-1880, Puerto Plata became the capital of the Dominican Republic and the seat of government was in the building where the Municipal City Council is currently located. This city has a population of around 170 thousand inhabitants, but with an entrance of visitors similar to its inhabitants.
The tourist destination of Puerto Plata has approximately 17,000 rooms and annually receives 900,000.00 tourists, who arrive regularly at the Gregorio Luperon Airport. The provincial director of Tourism, Lorenzo Sancassani, says that if they quantify cruise tourism would exceed one million visitors. Sancassani, states that the city of Puerto Plata is completely reinvented and this is evident in recent years, with new investments, renovation and expansion of the hotel plant and new features in the complementary offers; Positioning it more and more as a competitive destination.
Today, it also has projects such as Riu, Lifestyle, the cruise port Amber Cove, in the municipal district of Maimon, or the Ocean World Park, which are just a sample button of sustained growth. In the center of the city of San Felipe de Puerto Plata, visitors can enjoy the renovated historic center, the garden and the cable car, the museum of amber, the house museum of Gregorio Luperon, the San Felipe fortress and the amphitheater and raised park on the edge of the pier. A large part of the parks have also been intervened during the current municipal management.
As part of its natural riches, it has among its reserves the Loma Isabel de Torres, located about five kilometers southwest of the city. Geographically it is part of the Northern Cordillera, reaching a maximum height of 855 m. It covers approximately 20 square kilometers; and Isabel de Torres National Park, declared a “Natural Monument”, where the Dr. Rafael María Moscoso National Botanical Garden substation is located.
To highlight the attractive cultural component, the historic center was renovated and several streets were converted into pedestrian streets. The Lighthouse of La Puntilla, was built during the government of General Gregorio Luperon, whose work sought to serve as a guide to the ships that made crossing the Atlantic and had as destination the port of the city. The Faro was designed with super doors, classic columns and fluted in the Doric-Roman way. Meanwhile, what since 1999 was converted into the Cathedral of San Felipe Apóstol, dates from 1502, but it was not until 1870, with the work of the priest Pedro Tomas de Mena, when the temple began to be built and the work was completed in 1879.